Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Newness

     The last six months have been all of newness. Firstly, I need to rescind things I have written in past posts that contradict my current beliefs. I won't point them out individually, but they must be viewed with a grain of salt. When I wrote every post on this blog antecedent to this one, I was in a place of oscillating confusion, doubt, anger, and fear. I didn't have a solid belief structure to hold my mind together. Because of this, my mind was free to wander to all sorts of ridiculous conclusions. I will not erase my past posts, and the various elements of my thoughts that I now find to be to a degree unwise and also to a degree heretical.
     Following my return home from Cheltenham, England, I knew I wanted to be a Christian. I had doubted it before, even encapsulating much of 2010, but following a full day spent in prayer and study the Sunday before my Wednesday flight home, I was decided. I entered into my last semester at Malone this past January still seeking which church would be most profitable to my significantly-less-visible-than-a-mustard-seed-faith. I nearly lost hope by March. But by late February/early March I felt inside me the desire to give something a second chance- the Orthodox Church. I had gone in February 2010 to a Divine Liturgy (Sunday morning service) but didn't like it. In fact, my going then may have contributed to the general "beef" I had against Christianity altogether and harbored for another nine months. The point is that I felt I needed to go again. To make a short story long, I went with some friends who hadn't given up on me the whole time, and at this point I am about to become a Catechumen, essentially I'm in about a week going to be formally entering the Church, as the process usually takes some time.
     What I was initially drawn to was the spirit of worship at the church I have been attending- Holy Assumption Orthodox Church. The reverence is astounding- I can, as I have never been able to do, regularly feel the presence of God in the chanting and litany. I would have scoffed at such a statement only half a year ago. Becoming Orthodox from a Protestant upbringing isn't as much denying what you used to believe as it is supplementing it. "Adding" of course bears the completely wrong connotations: the reason I avoided the word. My past understanding of God and of my responsibility as a Christian has been "fattened up," as it were; I have been delighted to discover the wealth of wisdom found in writers from the earliest days of the Church. In my period of doubt, I would have scoffed at those same writers, and I'm sure in a journal entry at some point I wrote that now that we have such a better understanding of the universe and the anthropological and psychological and sociological (at this point you can add any number of adjectives that fit) inter-workings of the human race that those past writers' work has become null and void. Essentially, I thought that in the face of Post-Modernism, nothing of worth could be grasped from the Pre-Moderns. Now, however, my perspective is leaning the other way. More of that to come.

1 comment:

  1. I actually attended HA after a bad review from a good friend. And all the things he mentioned that offended him, actually helped me to go there. One thing that really pushed me was when my buddy said when we were to kiss the cross "now we go to kiss the cross" and although I don't think I kissed it, the prodding certainly was helpful...

    ReplyDelete