Wednesday, June 2, 2010

After many adventures

I am back in Jerusalem. I had been in Galilee for 4 days, and it was incredible. We stayed at a holiday resort for three nights at Ein Gev on the shores of Lake Galilee, known from the Bible as the Sea of Galilee. On this trip I really got a sense for viewing America outside of itself.
We were at Capernaum when we got the news that a Turkish (or anyways originating from Turkey) flotilla was attempting to bring humanitarian aid into Gaza, that several ships went to the Ashdod port as they were told to do, one refused, was boarded by Israeli forces, and that several Turks died in the process. Later we found out there was armed resistance on the Turkish boat. At Ein Gev we watched the news to get more information, and now it seems that Israel is in the biggest PR ditch ever. Even the USA won't say they are standing with Israel, yet. But it seems as though the current administration won't do that.
I am watching all of this from Israel, and it is a very interesting experience. There was talk of riots in Turkey and even some protests in the States. What if they protest here? I think I'll be ok though. The problem isn't with Americans this time.
I am not glad this terrible event happened, but I am thankful that as this issue has been going on, I have been here to witness it. Who knows if it will be a truly historical event? Maybe it will define global politics for a while. Or not. I'm not going to try to be the judge of that.
Anyways, happy to be home in Jerusalem. I've got my final exam coming up tomorrow, so I'm trying to study for that, and I still have much to go in the Brothers Karamazov. I had a dream last night it was the 4th of July and I was at the Blossom ampitheater, and the Cleveland Symphony was playing the 1812 Overture, and the cannons were pounding and there were American flags everywhere, and it was just America all around. This is the longest I've ever been out of the country, and I do miss home. Israel and America are really different, although Israel resembles America sometimes. The Israeli deserts really remind me of the American Southwest. The dress of the locals reminds me of home, though here people dress a little more European than American. The stores and even the fancy shopping mall down by Jaffa gate remind me of America. The holiday resort I stayed at, and all of the industry reminds me of America. However, the people here are mostly Arabic or Jewish, and look different than most people at home. Garbage is a general issue here, although I don't think the locals think so. The saddest part is that many archaeological sites that come within the limits of modern dwelling expansion usually become trash dumps. That's why some of my favorite sites (like Avdat and Bet She'an) are far away from civilization.
If you think thinks move fast in town in the States, try driving through an Israeli town. Almost every car has multiple nicks and scratches, not from large accidents but from little ones, little paint scratchers, where its obvious that people are crazy drivers. Thankfully, I've been on a tour bus during my travels in Israel, so minor accidents aren't really an issue.
All around, Israel has been good. I've taken over a thousand pictures, and now that I put all that I can on my jump-drive from my camera and only have 170 pictures left, I'm wondering what to do, as I still have nearly two weeks in Israel and then another two weeks in Europe. I'm sure I'll figure something out.
Well, till next time,
-J

No comments:

Post a Comment